Whilst in some countries medical cannabis is legal, in Spain is not fully the case (although numerous associations like our own are doing much to change the landscape)
The main reason for this non legal situation is because of the cannabinoid THC, the most misunderstood and notorious of the plants cannabinoids. This is because it is the one that produces the feeling of being ‘stoned’ or ‘high, and is present in almost all varieties of cannabis.
It is tho, almost absent (below 0.2% THC, according to law) in the legal ‘industrial hemp’, the prime of which is produced here in Spain from EU certified hemp seed; it is the source of Cannabidiol chosen by our CBDnetwork.
It is thought that Cannabidiol could have wide therapeutic benefits and with fewer side effects than medicines containing THC according to studies in epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia and nausea. There is also evidence that it could be especially helpful to treat side effects of radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
Cannabidiol causes a slight sedative effect in some cases and apparently is related to the reduction of nerve signals associated with pain. Currently science is interested in this molecule as a treatment for neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s disease, or Parkinson’s, with promising results in preclinical studies.
There are many research studies and experiences that support the effectiveness of this Cannabidiol as a treatment, but further research is needed in this promising field of medical research of cannabinoids to ‘officially’ call it medicine. Hence we ourselves tend to use terms such as ‘wellbeing’ and ‘supplements’. The reason that we originally started as an association was so that we could ‘legally’ promote its medical benefits. Despite it being 100% legal there is still a lack of knowledge mainstream. It IS changing tho, I speak to doctors regularly who are ‘having’ to sit up and take notice.
From the published clinical reports and studies listed on the given link below the supposedly beneficial effects of cbd are:
• For the treatment of nausea and vomiting secondary to chemotherapy , used in low doses.
• anxiolytic and relaxing effect , being useful in anxious-depressive processes. Also useful to normalize sleep and refreshing rest easy in some cases of insomnia.
• Analgesic effect for any type of pain, both acute and chronic. To treat neuropathic pain and neuralgia. Also effective in cancer pain.
• anti – inflammatory effect , improves diseases such as inflammatory bowel diseases, arthritic processes and arthrosis, and also effective in hyperkeratotic dermatitis such as psoriasis, as used locally also reduces itching or itching.
• Effect antioxidant and neuroprotective. Indicated in neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. Indicated in neuro-inflammation processes that accompany these pathologies.
• To reduce spasticity in diseases that present with this symptom amyotrophic lateral sclerosis as, multiple sclerosis, and secondary rigidities cranial or spinal trauma.
• In diseases like Parkinson’s or Huntington to normalize motility and reduce tremor.
• anti-epileptic effect in some types of epilepsy as refractory and as Dravet syndrome, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome , West, Doose, is a valid alternative to conventional treatment can be combined with other anti – epileptic drugs. They are epilepsies not responding to prescribed treatment with combinations of AEDs. It is not exactly known the mechanism of action of CBD, but is inhibited neuronal hyper excitation, through control of ion channels likely.
• Anti tumor effect in certain cancers such as some brain tumors in breast, colon cancer. Mechanisms of action such as inhibition of angiogenesis ( the creation of new blood vessels) in the tumor so it can not grow and is reduced also induce selective cell death of tumor cells, known as “cell suicide” are known. Likewise appears to inhibit cell migration it determines metastases cancer cells invade other tissues and form tumors in other organs.
Every person is unique and cannabis is not a one size fits all plant. We do however inform you that there are dozens of clinical studies to be read on the subject over at the International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines (cbd page) and that we are happy to be your trusted provider of the product as a general health supplement.